Bankruptcy Lawyer in Maryland Heights MO
What are some advantages of filing for bankruptcy?
- First and foremost, you will be put in a perfect position to rebuild your credit score! Most people can expect to see their score rise by about 100 points within the first year after filing!!
- All of the annoying, aggressive activity from your creditors (like endless phone calls, harassing emails, and threatening letters) will come to a hard stop once your case is filed!
- And if in fact a creditor has received a judgment against you, the bankruptcy will stop that as well (no more wage garnishments, no more bank levies, no more future lawsuits)
Is there a list of debts that will be handled through the bankruptcy?
- Credit cards and medical bills
- Old utility bills (such as gas, electric, water, and cable), overdrawn bank accounts, old cell phone bills
- If you had a car repossessed, or house foreclosed upon, or had to break a rental contract early, then a deficiency balance will arise (i.e. the amount still left over). These debts will handled as well.
- Payday loans, signature loans, personal loans
- The biggest difference would be the manner in which the court handles each chapter: in a Ch7, the Bankruptcy Trustee is interested in finding any assets that might have a lot of equity; in a Ch13, the Trustee wants to see about getting your plan payment as high as possible
- A Ch13 is a repayment plan (in which you can get caught up on certain debts); a Ch7 is a simple discharge of your unsecured debts
- A Ch7 will run about five (5) months from start to finish; a Ch13 will last between three (3) and five (5) years
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!!