Bankruptcy Lawyer in Olivette MO
What would be the top benefits of filing for bankruptcy for the average person?
- The main advantage you receive from filing for bankruptcy would be the “fresh start / clean slate” that the court gives you once you file. For example, you will see a huge bump in your credit score within the first year (and your rating will get back up to where you want it to be about a year and a half down the road)
- If you are currently being garnished, or if your bank accounts has been levied, or if your creditors are threatening legal action against you, all of this would come to a stop upon filing the bankruptcy
- And the most immediate effect you would notice is that all of the annoying tactics your creditors employ (from the endless phone calls to the nagging letters) will stop right away
Are there certain debts that would be included in my bankruptcy?
- All of your credit card debt
- All of your medical bills
- All of your past due utility bills, all of your old cell phone bills, and all of your overdrawn bank accounts
- If there are any deficiencies that may have resulted from a car repo, or home foreclosure, or broken rental contract, that would be included as well
- Payday loans, signature loans, and personal loans
- And just about anything that takes on the nature of an unsecured debt
- The main difference is the manner in which the Bankruptcy Trustee handles each chapter individually: in a Ch7, the Trustee is looking for any assets that have a great deal of value (because he/she will want to sell them); in a Ch13, the Trustee is wanting see about making your monthly plan payment as high as possible
- A Ch7 will run about five months in length from start to finish; a Ch13 will last between three and five years
- A Ch7 is best described as a discharge of unsecured debt (like credit cards and medical bills); a Ch13 is a repayment plan during which certain debts are paid back on a specific schedule
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact ustoday to learn more!!