Bankruptcy Lawyer in Pasadena Park MO
What sort of benefits can i expect when i file for bankruptcy?
- First and foremost, you will receive a “fresh start / clean slate” from the court! This is the fundamental benefit of filing for bankruptcy: it gives you a chance to start over and rebuild (like your credit score)
- If you are currently dealing with aggressive tactics from your creditors (like endless phone calls and threatening letters), that will all come to an end once your case is filed
- But if you have been sued by a creditor and/or collection agency, then the filing of a bankruptcy will stop that activity as well (no more wage garnishments, no more bank levies)
Can you give me an idea of which debts will be included in my bankruptcy?
- Payday loans, signature loans, personal loans (even the ones you have with family members and friends)
- Credit cards, medical bills, old utility bills (whether it is gas, electric, water, or cable)
- Old cell phone bills, old gym memberships, overdrawn bank accounts
- Deficiencies from auto repossessions, home foreclosures, and broken rental contracts
- The biggest difference would be in how the court treats each chapter: a Chapter 7 is a simple discharge of your unsecured debt (such as credit cards and medical bills); a Ch13 is a repayment plan (which allows you to pay back certain debts, such as overdue mortgage payments, recent tax debt, and back child support)
- A Ch7 typically runs about five months from start to finish; a Chapter 13 is going to last between three (3) and five (5) years
- The only time you would need to worry about losing an asset in bankruptcy is if you file a Ch7 (because the Bankruptcy Trustee in a Ch7 is always looking for assets that have a lot of value); in a Ch13, you don’t have to worry about losing any assets (but it could have an effect on how high your monthly payment will end up being)
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!!