Bankruptcy Lawyer in Penrose MO
What advantages are there to filing for bankruptcy?
- The main benefit that you derive from filing for bankruptcy is the “fresh start / clean slate” that the court gives you upon filing. This will in turn allow you the chance to rebuild your credit score (which will increase quite a bit over the following two years).
- If your creditors are harassing you night and day (with things like phone calls, letters, and emails), this activity will come to a hard stop upon the filing of your case.
- But if in fact a creditor has already sued and received a judgment against you, this sort of activity will stop as well (no more wage garnishments, no more bank levies).
What kind of debts will be included in my bankruptcy?
- Deficiencies that might result from things like car repossessions, home foreclosures, and broken rental contracts
- Credit cards, medical bills
- Payday loans (those that attach themselves to your bank account), signature loans (especially the online version), and personal loans (from your family or friends)
- Old gym memberships, old utility bills, old cell phones
- And really anything that takes on an unsecured nature
- A Chapter 7 is about five months in length; a Chapter 13 will run between three and five years
- A Chapter 7 is a simple discharge of unsecured debts (like credit cards and medical bills); a Ch13 is described as a repayment plan (to come current on certain debts)
- In a Ch7, the Bankruptcy Trustee is looking for assets that have a lot of value; in a Ch13, the Trustee is trying to make your plan payment as high as possible
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!