Bankruptcy Lawyer in Pine Lawn MO
Can you describe any advantages there might be in filing for bankruptcy?
- There are several benefits, but perhaps the most significant is the fact that the filing of a bankruptcy will give you a “fresh start / clean slate” in life. It is the single best way in which to increase your credit score (over a relatively short period of time).
- And once your case is filed, you will no longer have to put up with all the nasty tactics employed by your creditors (endless phone calls, threatening letters, and tons of emails).
- In addition, the bankruptcy petition will put a hard stop to any activity that may have resulted from a judgment against you (no more wage garnishments, no more bank levies).
Are there specific debts that will be handled in my bankruptcy?
- All the typical things you would probably think of, like credit cards and medical bills
- But also things like old utility bills (whether it is electric, gas, water, or cable), old gym memberships, and overdrawn bank accounts
- Whatever deficiencies might have resulted from a repossessed car, a foreclosed home, or a broken rental contract
- And just about anything else that resembles an unsecured debt
- A Chapter 7 is a best described as a discharge of unsecured debts (like credit cards, medical bills, and payday loans); a Ch13 is a repayment plan (which gives you an opportunity to get caught up on certain debts, like overdue mortgage payments so that you can avoid a home foreclosure)
- A Ch7 will last about five months from start to finish; a Ch13 runs between three and five years in length
- The Bankruptcy Trustee in a Ch7 is always looking for assets he/she can liquidate (and use the proceeds to pay towards your unsecured creditors); the Trustee in a Ch13 is trying to make your monthly payment as high as possible (so that there is a greater chance that your unsecured creditors receive funds)
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!