Bankruptcy Lawyer in Riverview MO
Are there certain benefits that i can expect when i file for bankruptcy?
- The first you can expect to see is that all of the nasty creditor activity you’re currently dealing with will come to an immediate end. This is because the bankruptcy court imposes an “automatic stay” as soon as your case is filed (which prevents all creditors from contacting you ever again).
- Or if a creditor has already secured a judgment against you, and is actively pursuing this court order, this will come to an end (no more wage garnishments, no more bank levies)
- And without a doubt, the filing of a bankruptcy will give you the best opportunity to improve your credit worthiness (over a relatively short period of time)
What are some typical debts that will be handled inside my bankruptcy?
- Credit cards, medical bills, payday loans
- Personal loans (even the ones that originate with friends and family members) and signature loans (even the ones that come from some online source)
- Old utility bills (whether it is electric, gas, water, or cable), gym memberships, book club memberships, overdrawn bank accounts, old cell phone bills
- And any deficiencies that might arise from a car repo,, home foreclosure, or broken rental contract
- A Chapter 7 will run about five months in length (from start to finish); a Chapter 13 will last between three and five years
- The difference in the length of time is because a Ch7 is a simple discharge of unsecured debt (such as credit cards and medical bills); a Ch13 is a repayment plan (during which time certain debts are paid back over a period of time)
- But the biggest difference between the chapters is how the Bankruptcy Trustee approaches them: in a Ch7, the Trustee is looking for any assets that have a lot of equity (so that he/she can sell them); in a Ch13, the Trustee is trying to make your monthly plan payment as high as possible
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!!