Bankruptcy Lawyer in St. John MO
Are there certain benefits i can look forward to when i file for bankruptcy?
- The most immediate benefit would be that all of the creditor activity you are currently dealing with (such as the endless phone calls, the threatening letters, the ridiculous demands for money) will all come to a complete halt once your case is filed
- But if one of your creditors has already sued you, and they are executing upon the judgment they received against you, this activity will cease as well (no more wage garnishments, no more bank levies)
- And of course the top benefit to be had is the “fresh start / clean slate” that the court will give you once your petition is filed. This will in turn give you the best chance to rebuild your financial standing (such as your credit score)
What kind of debts are typically included in a bankruptcy?
- Credit cards and medical bills
- Payday loans (attached to your bank account), signature loans (that originate online), personal loans (especially from friends and family members)
- Old utility bills, gym memberships, books clubs, and cell phones
- Deficiencies from car repossessions, home foreclosures, and broken rental agreements
- And anything else that is properly classified as an unsecured debt
What are the main differences between chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy?
- A Chapter 7 will typically run about five months in length (from start to finish); a Chapter 13 will run between three and five years
- A Ch7 is a simple discharge of unsecure debt; a Ch13 is a repayment plan
- The Bankruptcy Trustee in a Ch7 is hunting for assets that he/she can liquidate; the Trustee in a Ch13 is looking for a way to increase you monthly plan payment
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!!