Only $450 To Handle Most Affton, MO Stealing or Theft Charges
A stealing or theft charge in Affton, MO is a big deal. And if you plead guilty to the charge, here a few of the consequences:
- A plea of guilt will allow the state of Missouri to put the conviction onto your permanent record
- If someone were to run a criminal background check, the conviction would show up
- This will have a devastating impact on your ability to get a job, to rent an apartment, or even to get into some colleges
In addition to these consequences, you will have to contend with the sentence that the court can potentially impose.
As of January 1, 2017, the following laws regarding stealing / theft / shoplifting went into effect:
- If you are caught with goods valuing less than $150, and you have had no prior stealing-related charges, it is a Class D Misdemeanor
- If you are caught with goods valuing between $150 - $750, it is a Class A Misdemeanor
- If you are caught stealing an animal; or if you have been previously found guilty of three 93) stealing-related cases within ten (10) years of the present case, it is a Class E Felony
- If you are caught with goods valuing between $750 - $25,000, it is a Class D Felony
- If you are caught with goods valuing $25,000 or more, it is a Class C Felony
So if you would much rather avoid these consequences, then it is a good idea to engage an Affton MO criminal defense attorney!! Below are a few things that an experienced lawyer can do:
- If there are facts that allow for a dismissal, then your attorney can look into it
- If it is possible, your lawyer can also work closely with the local prosecutor to see about reducing the charge to something minor
- Or if that is not possible, then your attorney can negotiate an SIS (suspended imposition of sentence) on your behalf; this would involve a period of probation, after which the charges drop off altogether
So as you can see, retaining the services of a skilled St. Louis attorney is far better than the alternative!!
The affordable St. Louis stealing defense attorneys at The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, have been helping people with their theft charges for over ten (10) years. Our goal is to make sure that the charges leveled against you do not stay on your permanent record, and do any lasting damage. And we want to do all of this at an affordable price. The fees for a typical shoplifting case start at $450. But the initial consultation to discuss your legal issues is free of charge. So contact us today!!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!!