Bankruptcy Lawyer in St. Louis MO
What can a st louis bankruptcy do for you? here is a short list of some of the benefits
- The filing of a St Louis bankruptcy puts an immediate stop to any and all creditor activity (including phone calls, letters, and threats of legal action)
- It will get rid of any wage garnishments, bank levies, or lawsuits filed against you
- A bankruptcy will allow you to rebuild your credit rating in a relatively short period of time (usually within a year and a half after filing)
What type of debts can be discharged?
- Credit cards
- Medical bills
- Payday loans
- Overdrawn bank accounts
- Old cell phone bills
- And anything else of an unsecured nature (including gym memberships, deficiencies on repo’ed cars, etc.)
There are quite a few differences. And depending upon the specific facts of your case, it will likely be easy to determine which chapter will best suit your needs. But in general, the main differences can stated like this:
- A Ch7 is a discharge of unsecured debts (like credit cards and medical bills); and Ch13 is described as a repayment plan over the course of three (3) to five (5) years (during which certain debts are paid back)
- In a Ch7, you can keep your assets (like real estate and automobiles) so long as there isn’t significant equity; in a Ch13, your assets are safe regardless of the amount of equity
- A Ch13 is most often used to stop a home foreclosure and a car repossession
At The Law Office of Jennifer Alter-Rieken, we want to make sure that you receive the very best bankruptcy services in all of the St Louis area. Our team will get you back on your feet, help to dramatically improve your financial standing, and put you in the best position possible for the future. The attorney fees for a standard St Louis Chapter 7 are $675, and the upfront fees for a St Louis Chapter 13 are $300. But the initial consultation is free of charge!
We have two main locations: in the Central West End of St. Louis, at 1 North Taylor (on the corner of Taylor and Laclede), 63108; and in the Twin Cities of Festus / Crystal City, at 1000 Truman Blvd (Highway 61/67), 63019. The initial consultation is free of charge. So contact us today to learn more!!